A society where there is true gender equality – where women and men are valued as individuals free to make informed and responsible choices about their lives.
To remove all gender-based barriers so as to allow individuals in Singapore to develop their potential to the fullest and realise their personal visions and hopes.
We do this in three ways:
- Research and advocacy
- Education and training
- Support services.
AWARE is Singapore’s leading gender equality advocacy group.
AWARE believes in the rights of women and men to make informed and responsible choices about their lives and to have equal opportunities in education, marriage and employment, and in the right of women to control their own bodies, particularly with regard to sexual and reproductive rights.
AWARE is dedicated to removing gender-based barriers.
These barriers apply to both women and men, but because of the way human society has evolved, it is women who are more likely to come up against these barriers. These barriers, whether structural, attitudinal, or self-imposed, prevent individuals in Singapore from developing their potential to the fullest and realising their personal visions and hopes.
AWARE works to identify and eliminate these barriers through research and advocacy, education and training and support services.
Since its formation in 1985, AWARE has carried out research into numerous issues affecting women, including workplace sexual harassment, poverty of older women and Singapore’s compliance with UN anti-gender discrimination standards.
AWARE provides a feminist perspective in the national dialogue. It has effectively advocated against laws, public policies and mindsets that discriminate against women. AWARE has contributed towards the strengthening of laws dealing with domestic violence.
The AWARE Training Institute (ATI) develops and provides training to empower women to achieve independence. ATI also provides educational programmes to organisations and the public on issues that affect women.
AWARE’s Support Services provides crisis counselling, assistance in dealing with the authorities, and legal advice to women in need.
AWARE is a not-for-profit organisation. We are funded by donations, grants, and member subscriptions. We are a registered charity with Institute of Public Character status, so all donations to AWARE are tax-deductible.
- We embrace diversity, and we promote understanding and acceptance of diversity
- We respect the individual and the choices she makes in life, and support her when needed
- We believe a woman should have freedom of choice over her reproductive rights
- We operate on principles of integrity, trust and mutual respect
- We solve problems and make decisions in an inclusive and participatory manner
- We use accountability structures in order to be an effective organisation
- We provide a safe space for all in the constructive exchange of ideas and opinions
WORKING WITH CIVIL SOCIETY AND POLITICIANS
As an NGO that actively advocates for gender equality and women’s rights (which are an integral part of human rights), AWARE shares its research, knowledge, experience and expertise with policy makers and politicians on issues that relate to gender equality. AWARE also collaborates with policy makers and politicians on specific issues to promote a fairer, more equal, more inclusive and safer society for all, regardless of gender.
AWARE does not align itself with any particular political party and will work with all politicians, regardless of party, to further its mission. This will include both initiating contact with and responding to queries from politicians who have a particular interest in topics relevant to AWARE.
Further, as an active member of civil society, AWARE is committed to working with other civil society organisations to push for:
- transparency and accountability in policy making;
- democratic governance and institutions;
- greater civic participation in society;
- freedom of speech, expression and assembly;
- women leaders in politics and policy making;
- the elimination of all forms of discrimination; and
- the promotion of human rights for all.