Getting A Personal Protection Order

Personal Protection Orders

The most common form of a Protection Order is the Personal Protection Order (PPO).

Under the PPO, the court may make one or both of the following orders:

  1. The offender cannot use family violence against the family member;
  2. The offender cannot incite or assist anyone to commit family violence against the family member

The PPO is granted only after a trial unless the offender consents to the grant of the PPO. Medical reports and police reports can be helpful to obtain a PPO.

Where can you apply for a PPO?

You can apply for a PPO at the Protection Order Services of the Family Court or go to any of the following places to make the complaint through a video-link facility:

Blk 211, Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3
01-1446, Singapore 560211
Tel: 6555 0390
Fax: 6552 5290

Blk 410 Bedok North Avenue 2
Singapore 460410
Tel: 6449 9088

Care Corner Project StART
Blk 7A Commonwealth Avenue, #01-672, Singapore 141007
Tel 6476 1482


What forms of legal protection are available other than the PPO?

  • Expedited Order
    • This is an urgent PPO made before the trial.
    • It is granted if there is imminent danger of physical injury to any family member.
    • EO is valid only for 28 days or when the trial begins whichever occurs earlier.
  • Domestic Exclusion Order
    The Court may make one or more of the following orders:

    • That the offender leaves the home
    • That the offender be prohibited from entering the home or some portion of the home
    • That the applicant be permitted to enter and remain in the home.

This order is made only in exceptional circumstances, usually after a PPO has been disobeyed.
The DEO only restricts the right of the offender to occupy the home; it does not affect his/her ownership of the house.

What if the PPO/EO/DEO is disobeyed?

  • You should call or go to the police immediately.
  • The police will then investigate whether to charge the offender for breach of order.
  • Breach of order is a criminal offence that is punishable by a fine of up to $ 2000 for a first conviction or imprisonment for a term of up to six months or both.
  • In the case of a second or subsequent conviction, the offender can be fined up to $ 5,000 or imprisoned for a term not exceeding 12 months, or to both.


Penal Code Offences

  • A person who is hurt by someone who is not their family member (for example, an intimate partner who is not a spouse) may report the offence to the police or take out a private summons against the offender.
  • Where the injuries are minor, the relevant offence is that of Hurt. The applicable punishment is imprisonment up to 2 years and fine up to $5,000.
  • Where the injuries are major (e.g. involving broken bones, loss of sight, hearing or limb), the relevant offence is that of Grievious Hurt. The applicable punishment is imprisonment up to 10 years, fine or caning.
  • In the case of Grievous Hurt, the police may arrest and charge the offender.


Getting a Lawyer for Legal Protection

You do not need a lawyer to obtain a PPO or to take out a private summons for the offence of Hurt although this may be helpful if you can afford it. The following organisations offer legal clinics where you can get preliminary legal advice:

  • AWARE (You can call the helpline at 1800-774-5935 to fix an appointment)
  • Singapore Association of Women Lawyers’ Pro Bono Legal Consultation Clinics (You need to call to check if you qualify for free legal consultation)
  • The Law Society of Singapore (You need to register for making an appointment)
  • You can check with your neighbourhood Community Center. They may be holding regular legal clinics.


Click on these links for more information

Dealing with family violence
What is family violence?
What can I do if I’m facing family violence?
Making a Safety Plan
How to help a friend/relative/neighbour facing family violence